Skip to content
Gleb Yushin is a Professor at the School of Materials and Engineering at Georgia Institute of Technology, a co-Founder of Sila Nanotechnologies, Inc. (an engineered materials company focused on dramatically improving energy storage) and a co-Editor-in-Chief of Materials Today.
He joined MSE in July 2007 and has received numerous awards and recognitions, including the Roland B. Snow Award from the American Ceramic Society, NASA Nanotech Briefs® Nano 50™ Award, Petroleum Research Fund Young Investigator Award, Honda Initiation Award, Air Force Office of Scientific Research (AFOSR) Young Investigator Program Award, National Science Foundation (NSF) Young Investigator CAREER Award, NASA Inventions and Contributions Board Tech Brief Award, Kavli Fellow Award, Sigma Xi Best Faculty Paper Award, among others.
Prof. Yushin was recently distinguished as one of the “Leading and Most Cited Researchers in Sciences Around the World” by Clarivate Analytics and as one of the 20 members of Electrochemical Society (out of 8,000+) with the “World’s Most Influential Scientific Minds.” Prof. Yushin’s research is primarily focused on advancing energy storage materials and devices for electronic devices, transportation and grid applications.
Prof. Yushin has co-authored over 35 patents and patent applications, over 120 invited and keynote presentations and seminars and over 130 publications on nanostructured materials for energy related applications, which received 20,000 citations by July 2018 (Google scholar: https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=TwX62mwAAAAJ&hl=en).
1. I. Kovalenko, D. Bucknall, G. Yushin, Detonation Nanodiamond and Onion-like Carbon - Embedded Polyaniline for Supercapacitors, Advanced Functional Materials, 2010
2. A. Magasinski, P. Dixon, B. Hertzberg, A. Kvit, J. Ayala, G. Yushin, High-Performance Lithium-Ion Anodes Using Hierarchical Bottom-up Approach, Nature Materials, 2010, 9 (4) p. 353-358.
3. B. Hertzberg, A. Alexeev, G. Yushin, Deformations in Si-Li Anodes Upon Electrochemical Alloying in Nano-Confined Space, JACS Communications, Article ASAP, 2010, 132 (25), p. 8548
4. Y. Korenblit, M. Rose, E. Kockrick, L. Borchardt, A. Kvit, S. Kaskel, G. Yushin, High-Rate Electrochemical Capacitors Based on Ordered Mesoporous Silicon Carbide-Derived Carbon, ACS Nano, 2010, 4 (3), p. 1337-1344.
5. A. Kajdos, F. Jones, A. Kvit, J. Jagiello, G. Yushin, Tailoring the Pore Alignment for Rapid Ion Transport in Microporous Carbon, JACS Communications, Article ASAP, 2010, 132 (1) p. 3252.
6. S. Yachamaneni, G. Yushin, S.-H. Yeon, Y. Gogotsi, C. Howell, S. Sandeman, G. Phillips, S. Mikhalovsky, Mesoporous Carbide-Derived Carbon for Cytokine Removal from Blood Plasma, Biomaterials, 2010, 31(18) p. 4789-4794.
7. M.V. Rybin, A.B. Khanikaev, M. Inoue, K.B. Samusev, M.J. Steel, G. Yushin, and M.F. Limonov, Fano Resonance between Mie and Bragg Scattering in Photonic Crystals. Physical Review Letters, 2009. 103(2):
8. K.D. Behler, A. Stravato, V. Mochalin, G. Korneva, G. Yushin, and Y. Gogotsi, Nanodiamond-Polymer Composite Fibers and Coatings. ACS Nano, 2009. 3(2), p. 363-369.
9. A.V.Baryshev, A.B. Khanikaev, M. Inoue, P.B. Lim, A.V. Sel'kin, G. Yushin, and M.F. Limonov, Resonant behavior and selective switching of stop bands in three-dimensional photonic crystals with inhomogeneous components. Physical Review Letters, 2007, 99(6).
10. J. Chmiola, G. Yushin, Y. Gogotsi P, C. Portet, Simon, P.-L. Taberna, Anomalous increase in carbon capacitance at pore size below 1 nm, Science, 313, 2006 (no. 5794), p.1760-1763.
11. G. Yushin, R.K. Dash, Y. Gogotsi, and J.E. Fischer, Enhanced Hydrogen Uptake by Carbide Derived Carbons with Optimized Pore Structure, Advanced Functional Materials, 2006, 16, p.2288-2293.
12. S. Osswald, G. Yushin, V. Mochalin, S. Kucheyev, Y. Gogotsi, Control of sp2/sp3 carbon ratio and surface chemistry of nanodiamond powders by selective oxidation in air, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2006, 128, p.11635-11642 (2006).
13. G. Yushin, E.N. Hoffman, M.W. Barsoum, Y.Gogotsi, C.A. Howell, S.R. Sandeman, G.J. Phillips, A.W. Lloyd, and S.V. Mikhalovsky, Mesoporous carbide-derived carbon with porosity tuned for efficient adsorption of cytokines, Biomaterials, 2006, 27, p.5755-5762.
14. Z.G. Cambaz, G. Yushin, Y. Gogotsi, and V.G. Lutsenko, Anisotropic Etching of SiC Wiskers, Nano Lett., 2006, 6 (3): p.548-551. (cover page image)
15. Y. Gogotsi, R.K. Dash, G. Yushin, T. Yildirim, G. Laudisio, and J.E. Fischer, Tailoring of Nanoscale Porosity in Carbide-Derived Carbons for Hydrogen Storage. J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2005, 127 (46), p.16006-16007.
B.A. Physics (with Honors), 1999, Polytechnic Institute, Saint-Petersburg, Russia
Ph.D. Materials Science, 2003, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC
Georgia Institute of TechnologyNorth Avenue, Atlanta, GA 30332Phone: 404-894-2000