Undergraduate Research Option in
Materials Science and Engineering
Georgia Tech’s Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program was created as part of Tech’s “Quality Enhancement Plan” (QEP), a component of SACS accreditation. The purpose is to support both the quality and quantity of undergraduate research participation on campus.
The Materials Science and Engineering Undergraduate Program offers the Research Option that allows students to participate in undergraduate research in faculty laboratories. The words “Research Option” will appear on the transcript of each student completing the requirements to indicate that the student has had a substantial, in-depth, research experience.
The requirements for the “Research Option” in Materials Science and Engineering are:
- Selection of a faculty advisor and research topic in conjunction with the faculty advisor. The topic and expected scope of the project must be approved in advance by the MSE Undergraduate Curriculum Committee. A key criterion will be whether the research may lead to a publishable paper.
- Fill out and submit the Research Option Participation Intent Form
- Completion of nine units (see 4 below) of supervised research, over a period of at least two, but preferably three, terms. Research may be either for pay or credit. At least six credit hours must involve work on a single research project.
- Registration in 9 hours of undergraduate research courses MSE 2698 and 4698 (for pay), or MSE 2699 and 4699 (for credit). Up to 10 hours of MSE 2699 or 4699 can be used to satisfy the technical, MSE, and free elective requirements of the BS degree in MSE. Courses taken for credit must be passed with a grade of “C” or higher.
- Completion of LCC 4701 "Undergraduate Research Proposal Writing" (1 hr. credit) with a grade of "C" or higher. The student should write a Research Proposal while taking this class (CLICK HERE for details on proposal content and requirements).
- Obtain approval of the Research Proposal from the MSE Undergraduate Curriculum Committee (by submitting it electronically to the Associate Chair for UndergraduatePrograms). This is required before taking LCC4702 (see immediately below).
- Completion of LCC 4702 "Undergraduate Research Thesis Writing" (1 hr.Credit) with a grade of "C" or higher.
- Have research thesis approved by the faculty advisor and one other MSE faculty member approved by the MSE Undergraduate Curriculum Committee. (Contact the Associate Chair for Undergraduate Programs to obtain approval for second reviewer.) The thesis will be evaluated on the basis of publishability, originality, creativity, and clarity.
- Submit a pdf copy of the approved research thesis to the Associate Chair for Undergraduate Programs.
- Complete the Certificate of Research Option Approval Form, obtain necessary approvals/signatures, and submit to:
Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program
Georgia Institute of Technology
Mail Code 0740
ATTN: Research Option
Atlanta, GA 30332-0740
For additional information concerning the undergraduate program in general, please contact either: