Office: LOVE 265
B.Tech. Metallurgical Engineering, 1970, Indian Institute of Technology
M.Tech. Metallurgical Engineering, 1972, Indian Institute of Technology
Ph.D. Materials Science and Engineering, 1977, University of Florida
Dr. Arun M. Gokhale is a Professor in the School of Materials Science and Engineering at the Georgia Institute of Technology. Prior to joining the Georgia Tech faculty in 1989, Dr. Gokhale’s work history encompassed fifteen years of teaching, and industrial research and development experience. Dr. Gokhale holds a B.Tech (1970) and M.Tech (1972) in Metallurgical Engineering from the Indian Institute of Technology, and a Ph.D. in Materials Science and Engineering (1977) from the University of Florida. Professor Gokhale is a Fellow of ASM International. He serves on the editorial advisory boards for three international journals. He has published over 200 papers and is a frequent invited lecturer at national and international conferences.
Dr. Gokhale’s research interests include quantitative fractography, damage evolution in composites, microstructural evolution during deformation and fracture, with primary focus on quantitative description of microstructure and its evolution during materials processes.
Dr. Gokhale has written 200 papers in reputed scientific journals and conference proceedings. He has given more than 100 invited lectures in the national and international conferences and seminars. He is a Fellow of ASM International. He served as Vice President of International Society for Stereology (1992-96). He serves on the editorial boards of four international journals, Journal of Microscopy, Metallurgical and Materials Transactions, Materials Characterization, and Stereology and Image Analysis.
MSE Research Areas:
- quantitative fractography
- damage evolution in composites
- microstructural evolution during deformation and fracture, with primary focus on quantitative description of microstructure and its evolution during materials processes
- H. Singh, A.M. Gokhale, Y. Mao, and J. E. Spowart: “Computer Simulations of Realistic Microstructures of Discontinuously Reinforced Aluminum Alloy (DRA) Composites”, Acta Materialia, Vol. 54, Issue 8, PP 2131-2143, 2006.
- A. Tewari and A.M. Gokhale: “Nearest Neighbor Distributions in Thin Films, Sheets, and Plates” Acta Materialia, Vol. 54, Issue 7, PP 1957-1963, 2006.